RE: RE: Oil Filters

From: Mallett, Donald B (Donald.Mallett@BNSF.com)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2007 - 04:24:08 EST

    Come on Guys, This oil filter battle is at least a yearly pissing
match. Yes, construction is very important in a oil filter, So is the
quality of the anti-drain back and bypass valves. Rate of oil flow is a
major consideration. Having your oil analyzed is also helpful!

    One thing no one has yet mentioned is the efficiency rating of the
filtering media. That in its self should be at top of the list. Wear to
the engine is caused by dirt and soot larger then 5 microns. With the
tight tolerances in the 4.7, 3.7Ls engines that 5 microns might be even
worse for the engines. I found a brand that filters remove down to the 2
micron level.

    The way I see it, if a filter filters down to a smaller particle
size then it would clog at a faster rate. This would be due to the
larger and smaller particles would be caught in the same filtering
media. In turn a larger filter would in effect comasate for this and
allow finer filtering and longer life. By increasing the media surface
the oil will flow with less restriction. With less restriction, oil will
also flow better when cold at start-ups. While sitting here typing this
I just thought of this, Would pressure from flowing oil push dirt throw
the media of a clogged filter? Even if the by-pass valve does open there
is still pressure on the media that can pass this crud

    One topic not touched on the lack of oil at start up of the engine.
A few companies make a pre charged type of pre oilier. These store oil
in a device under pressure until the engine is started and release into
the engine. Some have incorporated a sensor that if the oil PSI hits a
low predetermine PSI it will send its pressured oil in to the engine.
What I've been working on but not getting very far due to unable to find
a 12v pump that can pump oil and can handle any kind of heat. (Just a
foot note, using the pump only for pre-starting and not while the engine
is running.)

Just MHO and my 42 cents worth of rambling. :-)

P.S. Thanks you Champion Laboratories for moving jobs back in to the
states!!!

- --
*------------------------------Y2KOTA------------------------------*
Don Mallett
Y2K QC 4.7L Auto SLT+ 4x2
http://www.y2kota.us
*-----I'm not late! It's that the rest of the world is early!!-----*

Combined single

Also, don't let anyone tell you that because you are running a
synthetic that you can go 10,000+ between oil and filter changes. The
length of time that you can use your oil depends on how well it's
FILTERED. If you're going to do extended mileage on oil, at least change
the filter EVERY 3000 miles, and then top off the engine oil. If you
filter gets clogged w/ the crap in your oil and stops filtering, you
are doing more harm than good by leaving the 'dirty' oil in. I
personally run Mobil 1 and change the oil AND filter every 3000 miles.