Re: RE: 3.9'er Needs performance advice

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 10:02:01 EST

msnbcnnbcbs@hotmail.com wrote:
> I thought a 42RE could be set up to handle a 360? it would just need a rebuild?
>

> In article <PJEJIAGPKDMHANKKBAEEEEEECDAA.gcouriel@bellsouth.net>,
> gcouriel@bellsouth.net ("Gabriel A. Couriel") writes:
>

>>if you are going to go the V8 route, keep in mind that you'll need to
>>upgrade the transmission. on a 360, you'll have to install a 46RE, and all
>>the required parts. while you're at it, make sure you install something
>>stout, or you might be pulling it to rebuild.
>>
>>if you are just going to use this to putz around and have fun, you might
>>just want to stick to the V6. however, the V8 is tempting.
>>
>>Gabriel A. Couriel

If you go with a 360, you are better off just putting a 46RE into the
truck. Keep in mind that the 360 is balanced differently (externally)
and you'll need the correct flex plate.

If you go with a 360 are you planning on keeping the engine stock or
building it up a little? If you are going to build it up, then you may
as well get a core engine and rebuild it. If you are keeping it stock,
there are a number of places you can get complete engine assemblies,
ready to drop in. Only thing else you will need to do is get an engine
computer (easy) and the wire harness (NOT easy) Almost all salvage
yards do NOT save wire harnesses. I've found you have to get in good
with one and ask them to let you know when they get trucks in that you
can use parts off, and call you before they butcher them. They cut
crossmembers and wire harnesses. All they care about are getting the
major componants out (ecm, engine, trans, axles etc)

"The word, is no. I am therefore going anyway." - James T. Kirk

75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4 http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/ AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine