Re: RE: Jeep Liberty

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2007 - 22:09:53 EST

Pindell, Tim P wrote:

> How do you like the TDI Jetta? Is it manual or auto? Aside from the
> engine, how do you like the car itself? Handling? Brakes? Deb has
> appreciated the look of the Jettas for quite a while. When we bought
> the Stratus back in 1999, the Jettas were out of our price range so we
> didn't even bother driving one. We'd really like a "domestic",
> preferably a small diesel Mopar with some sort of 4wd, but the Jetta has
> always had its appeal, regardless.

I love everything about it. 5sp manual. my only gripe is that the
stock clutch isn't good for more than ~150 ft/# in 4th & 5th, so that
needs to be swapped before I really mod it.

Super cheap power potential.

Brakes only last 60-80k, timing belts are due at 60k-100k depending on
year (I'm due at 80k on my '02), the PD motors ('03-06) take expensive
VW-spec 505.1 oil.

Fantastic aftermarket for the model.

Drives like you'd expect German engineering to drive, though in stock
form the at-limit understeer is shameful. better dampers and a mild
rear swaybar upgrade make it a very economical GT car.

Honestly, I won't give it up. Spot me $9k and I can put together a VERY
nice 5sp '01 for you, hopped decently too. Rust free, just needs some
assembly. 90% complete in CT, just needs finishing touches. Wish I
could do it myself. (serious offer - goes for anyone here)

-Mike