Re: RE: Jeep Liberty

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sat Jan 20 2007 - 10:57:15 EST

droo <03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net> wrote:

: On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 09:38:25 -0500, <jon@dakota-truck.net> wrote:
:> Actually, there are billions of people who live on *far* less
:> than one acre. Even in the relatively rural villages in my area,
:> if you have a 1 acre lot, that is something to brag about. With
:> 100 feet of road frontage, that would give you a depth of about
:> 435 feet, when most village lots in this area are closer to 50 or
:> 60 feet wide by 100 feet deep (a tenth of an acre). Even when you
:> start getting out into the country, there are a ton of 1 acre
:> building lots. Move into the cities and start getting into
:> apartment buildings and high rises, and you will find hundreds of
:> people living on 1 acre of land.
:>

: Yes. You are right. But each person needs more than one acre to survive.
: If all I had was one acre and had to produce my own food and get all of my
: resources from the one acre. I wouldn't survive. That was the point I was
: trying to make. You can stack on the people you one into small spaces.
: Unless there are others producing food somewhere else on large tracts of
: land, that would not be possible.

   That's probably true; I think the estimates put the amount of land
needed to support one person at around 3 acres, but its hard to say
due to the variables involved - i.e. wether the person lives by
themselves or in an apartment building, what type of lifestyle they
have, etc. I think that goes beyond the simple point that the
illustration was trying to make though; simply that there is a lot of
land out there in comparison to the number of people currently living on
it.

--
                                          -Jon-