Re: Re: Dakota Won't Start

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2007 - 19:25:53 EST

>>>Still no go... Here's what I did so far:
>>>
>>>Crank Position Sensor showed resistance so I replaced it.
>>>Cam Position Sensor tested good.
>>>Fuel pressure at 49 PSI.
>>>Spark from all wires.
>>>Watched distributor rotor for smooth rotation. No indication of broken
>>>cam
>>>or distributor teeth.
>>>Looked for any signs of wire harness corrosion and checked all grounds.
>>>After all that...Replaced PCM! And...STILL NO GO!!!
>>>I could check voltage at the injector PCM pins but a new PCM should have
>>>fixed that.
>>>How about a broken timing chain. Is removing the valve cover the easiest
>>>way to check for that?
>>>Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

I was about to say that you would not have a broken timing chain if the
distributor is turning, but then I stopped and had to think, is the
distributor powered off the cam or the crank? I'm about 99.99999%
positive that its powered by the camshaft. This goes to show that your
timing chain is infact intact. I suppose its possible the chain could
have jumped a tooth or more... On both my old 3.9L premags, he timing
chains rattled around so bad that it was almost possible to pull the
chain off the sprockets without taking the sprockets off the cam and crank.

As other have suggested, pull the plugs and see that you have
compression at all cyl's

"The word, is no. I am therefore going anyway." - James T. Kirk

75 Honda CL360, 89 Dakota, 89 Dakota 4x4, 95 Dakota 4x4, 96 Neon, 01 Ram 4x4 http://members.aol.com/silvereightynine/ AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine