Re: Having some troubles with the truck...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Jan 29 2007 - 15:28:31 EST

bfitchett@comcast.net wrote:

: that was fast! Thanks Jon, I will have to give that a try (once I find where
: the IAC is located! I do have a copy of the FSM someplace!) I just remembered
: something else that may or may not be linked to this problem... The speedo and
: tach were much slower to respond than normal this AM. Is that indicative of
: some sending unit? TPS? other sensors??

   The IAC is located on the back of the throttle body; it is
attached with two torx head machine screws. On a '98, I think
you would probably need to remove the TB from the engine first
in order to be able to remove the IAC. If you remove the air
hat and look at the top of the TB, you can see the plunger of
the IAC sticking into a little cavity at the back of the TB.

   Regarding the slow to respond gauges, I believe that the
entire instrument cluster is electronic as of 1998. If you
are noticing irregularities there, I might suspect your battery,
especially if these problems have all cropped up at the same
time as a cold snap. Even if the battery has enough juice to
start the vehicle, I have heard that a bad cell can play all
sorts of havok with the electronics in our Daks. It might be
worthwhile having a load test done, which many parts stores
will do for free.

--
                                          -Jon-