Re: Having some troubles with the truck...

From: bfitchett@comcast.net
Date: Mon Jan 29 2007 - 20:35:58 EST

 jon@dakota-truck.net writes:

> The IAC is located on the back of the throttle body; it is
> attached with two torx head machine screws. On a '98, I think
> you would probably need to remove the TB from the engine first
> in order to be able to remove the IAC. If you remove the air
> hat and look at the top of the TB, you can see the plunger of
> the IAC sticking into a little cavity at the back of the TB.
>
> Regarding the slow to respond gauges, I believe that the
> entire instrument cluster is electronic as of 1998. If you
> are noticing irregularities there, I might suspect your battery,
> especially if these problems have all cropped up at the same
> time as a cold snap. Even if the battery has enough juice to
> start the vehicle, I have heard that a bad cell can play all
> sorts of havok with the electronics in our Daks. It might be
> worthwhile having a load test done, which many parts stores
> will do for free.

The IAC was black... I just decided to replace it and cleaned the rest of
throttle body. The inital start afterwards was pretty fun with the idle at 2k
for a couple minutes. It seemed to work a little bit better and didnt seem to
stumble when I let off the gas. so that could be a good sign. It also started
a lot faster than it had been, although it didnt take long before.

The speedo and tach are still sluggish. Speedo especially, I know that I wasnt
doing 30 5 feet from the stop sign!! After stopping it dropped down. I didnt
get the battery checked. I put the meter on the battery and got 12.1 V, didnt
do any load tests... will leave that to AZ tomorrow if I can get by.

Brian