RE: RE: DML Digest V5 #2943

From: Pindell, Tim P (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 10:05:13 EST

Yeah, we get into some animated discussions sometimes, but, not to
stroke any egos or anything, I think everyone here is very intelligent
and respectable regardless of our small disagreements. Sometimes the
smaller, more obscure groups have the best info because that obscurity
selects for the most motivated members. The signal-to-noise ratio in
some web forums is terrible. If I have a question to which I can't
easily find an answer, or if I just need to be pointed in the right
direction for further research (on a great many subjects), this is the
place to be.

In a >very< general way, I can agree with Challenger: gun safety is an
extremely important consideration. I find it difficult to enjoy myself
at some ranges when I have to worry if there is a whackjob in the next
booth. Firearms are safe when handled responsibly, but they are
extremely unforgiving. A small degree of carelessness can have dire
consequences. Firearm safety is worth some extra emphasis, however,
there is a right and wrong way to make that point. Challenger wasn't
particularly...um, graceful in doing so. Mean-spirited hillbilly
stereotypes are probably not very helpful. Given the caliber (hee hee)
of firearm enthusiasts on this list, I would feel safe at a range with
any of them.

If any of you are in central Ohiya, try www.nasr.com. That's where I go
most of the time. They don't take kindly to unsafe shooters and have a
hair trigger for putting a size 12 where it would do the most good.

Tim