Re: Paragon is getting evicted on Monday!

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Feb 02 2007 - 11:02:32 EST

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:

: On Feb 1, 2007, at 17:57, Walt@Walt-n-Ingrid.Com wrote:

:>
:> We're loosing another place for legal off-roading.
:>
:> http://www.saveparagonap.com/
:>

: Figured they'd loose. jobs always win. sigh.

: Can't imagine how much it's going to take to level that land for an
: airport. Nor how much infrastructure they'll have to build to
: support the truck traffic of a cargo terminal.

    I was thinking the same thing myself - I've never been to
Paragon, but airports generally like to be in a big flat area,
and I can't imagine the location would have made a very good
offroad park if it was flat. So.... I'm assuming it *isn't* flat
and that somebody is going to have to spend a heck of a lot of
time in a really big bulldozer.

    Kind've ironic in that people always seem to be trying to
shut down airports *and* vehicular venues like offroad parks
and drag strips, etc. due to noise and such. If there was a
way to build the airport right next to the offroad park so that
both could exist simultaneously, I would think that they'd be
relatively good neighbors; neither really caring about any of
the noise or footprint of the other.

    This sucks for sure; I can imagine what the owners must be
feeling; having gone through the trouble of developing all of
the trails and features only to have them bulldozed. I'd
be a bit wary of creating an offroad park on leased land for
this very reason; better to buy it outright. Then again, as
we saw from New London, CT, owning the land isn't exactly
any guarantee either, if enough people (or the "right" people)
stand to profit from a different use. :-(

--
                                          -Jon-