Re: 2008 National DML Meet?

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 12:52:49 EST

On Jan 28, 2007, at 23:35, Barry Oliver wrote:

> It is possible we could try a "rolling DML meet". Say, first day
> we all meet in town XXXX, spend a couple of nights, and then move
> on down the road and spend a couple of nights at town YYYY.. then
> on to ZZZZ. This solves a couple of problems, such as, running out
> of stuff to do in one spot,lack of accomidations for the entire
> week for the whole group, and mostly having to pick only one spot.
> People arriving late could just join up wherever we were at the
> time. We could have a "DML Ultimate Adventure", hitting several
> sites that might not have enough to do to fill an entire week, but
> are interesting all the same.

I dan't dislike the idea, but I do like not having to tear down & set
up camp all the tim. I don't think we really ran into any issues of
running out of things to do in the Denver area, but we certainly did
have some long commutes some days. Personally I'm happy arriving
somewhere and setting up in the dark (hence all the extra lights on
the truck), and that could easilly kill long commute issues.

If we do end up in the Smokies for a week though. I'm going to have
to have gears & lockers and a winch by then, and I'm not sure I'd
want to leave Tellico.... State Line Campground is nice sites and
free, on the TN side of Tellico, but no showers or hookups and
technically dry (or at least it was last year - not sure if that was
a permanent change). Crawford's camp is on the TN side about 10
miles from the other Tellico entrance and is a full-fledged
campground with hookups and showers, and has rentable shop facilities
too (which I took advantage of when I was there to stick my shock
towers back on after a shakedown on then-new Dana 60 setup in front)
along with a rock garden and RTI ramp. I think I paid around $12/
night. He had wifi too - I was uning my laptop in my tent & on my
picnic table.

I'm not sure what there is to do in the area other than Tellico, the
Tail of the Dragon for you sport bikers and amazing scenery and
quaint little towns.

--
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s  '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |