Re: 2008 National DML Meet?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Feb 08 2007 - 18:15:46 EST

Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:
: On Jan 28, 2007, at 23:35, Barry Oliver wrote:

:> It is possible we could try a "rolling DML meet". Say, first day
:> we all meet in town XXXX, spend a couple of nights, and then move
:> on down the road and spend a couple of nights at town YYYY.. then
:> on to ZZZZ. This solves a couple of problems, such as, running out
:> of stuff to do in one spot,lack of accomidations for the entire
:> week for the whole group, and mostly having to pick only one spot.
:> People arriving late could just join up wherever we were at the
:> time. We could have a "DML Ultimate Adventure", hitting several
:> sites that might not have enough to do to fill an entire week, but
:> are interesting all the same.
:>

: I dan't dislike the idea, but I do like not having to tear down & set
: up camp all the tim. I don't think we really ran into any issues of
: running out of things to do in the Denver area, but we certainly did
: have some long commutes some days. Personally I'm happy arriving
: somewhere and setting up in the dark (hence all the extra lights on
: the truck), and that could easilly kill long commute issues.

   Yep, that was my original thought as well, but if Walt can
set up and tear down Tent-Majal, then I'm sure not going to
complain about my simple wal-mart tent. :-) I don't mind
setting up in the dark either; I guess it bothers some people
but like you said, I figure that's just the sort of thing they
invented light bulbs for. :-)

: If we do end up in the Smokies for a week though. I'm going to have
: to have gears & lockers and a winch by then, and I'm not sure I'd
: want to leave Tellico....

   I wouldn't mind spending some time at Tellico, but I'd also
like to mix it up a bit and do more stuff. I've never been of
course, but I am pretty sure I'd want to do more stuff than
just spend the whole week at Tellico. There's nothing preventing
like-minded folks from splitting into sub-groups though, like
we did somewhat in Colorado, and we've got plenty of time to
hammer out the details. :-)

: Crawford's camp is on the TN side about 10
: miles from the other Tellico entrance and is a full-fledged
: campground with hookups and showers, and has rentable shop facilities
: too (which I took advantage of when I was there to stick my shock
: towers back on after a shakedown on then-new Dana 60 setup in front)
: along with a rock garden and RTI ramp. I think I paid around $12/
: night. He had wifi too - I was uning my laptop in my tent & on my
: picnic table.

    Sounds just about perfect! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-