No more vacuum disconnect

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Feb 10 2007 - 19:23:42 EST

So I decided to put the vacuum disconnect out of my misery. For a few
weeks I've been without 4wd in 20-degree CT. Luckily, we've only had
one small snow storm. I finally decided to bear the deep freeze to
permenantly end my vacuum disconnect woes.

I cut and inserted a sleeve over the vacuum motor shaft to permenantly
lock the shift fork in "engaged" position.

Since I swapped a 94 transfer case into my 89 truck, I no longer have
the vacuum switch. For a while I ran manifold vacuum through a check
valve (yeah I also ripped out the canister and 4 vacuum lines that
drive the stupid disconnect) to one side of the vacuum motor. It
worked till a few weeks ago. I didn't care to investigate why... I
knew how to fix it permenantly.

Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of my sleeve insert, but here's
pics of the disconnect:
http://www.pbase.com/image/74208240
http://www.pbase.com/image/74208157

Don in CT