Re: Fwd: chinese jeeps

From: droo (03dakotacc4.7_4x4@comcast.net)
Date: Sun Feb 11 2007 - 18:50:18 EST

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:37:10 -0500, Terrible Tom
<SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> hahahahahahahaha!!!!
>
> Dude - good luck trying to import one! I was reading about whats
> necessary to import cars/trucks from outside the US... and if its about
> 20 years old or whatever... no problem, its exempt from the US
> regulations on importing... but if its new or new-ish... forget it. They
> require emissions tests, crash tests - which is like you have to have so
> many cars of the same model that you want to import - crash tested and
> evaluated to show they meet US regs... I don't remember all the details
> - but its insane to try to do it.
>
> Might be able to get away with it if you convert the drive train over to
> something thats already EPA certified... and could possibly fight the
> crash testing issue because its basically the same friggin jeep that was
> sold here - just its cosmetically different.
>
> Good luck and if he finds a way - put me down for one :-)
>
> --- in my dreams

There's gotta be soem ways around some of that stuff. I've seen military
guys take vehicles back from europe and drive them around in the US.

--
-droo

2003 Dodge Dakota Club Cab V8 4X4 Manual Transmission Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's Can-Back Soft Topper Rhinoliner Alpine CD Head Unit w/ XM Alpine 6 3/4" Speakers Sony 8" Subwoofer Q-Logic Custom Fit Enclosure