Re: Dakota days numbered?

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Feb 16 2007 - 21:15:17 EST

Bob Tom wrote:
> What with D-C latest restructuring plans, all options are being considered
> regarding the Chrysler division, including selling it. Latest rumour is that
> GM is talking to D-C about buying :-( Also, the Warren(sp?) plant is apparently
> being cut back to one shift. Doesn't look too good for Dakotas or Rams!
>
> Sad, sad times in Moparland X;{
>
> Bob

hmmm - well the top brass at D.C just keep making blunder after blunder.
    The redesign of the Dakota for 05 saw a large decrease in sales,
because the following that Dakota had before, looked at it and said -
nuh-uh! having seen the new face lift they have given Dakota, in person
at the autoshow... I don't have good predictions either. They are not
likely to redesign it again considering its not selling well. Then
again Dakota is D.C's only soldier in the compact truck market.
Granted, while I personally think the Colorado is more ugly than the
Dakota, there are FAR more Colorados and Canyons on the road - that I
can see at least - than the new Daks. Not having an economy version of
the Dakota hurts the trucks fleet sales potential. Which D.C seemed to
never care about. There is a huge market for light duty delivery
trucks. Every auto parts store in the country needs one... Mst use
Rangers and S-10s, and now Colorados.

D.C also dumped lots of Chrysler's revenue into the Daimler end of
things... back when Chrysler was a cash cow in the late 90s - with the
roaring success of the Neon, the Ram, the Dakota and the minivan
lines... there was lots of funds heading into the German side of things.

If GM aquires even a tiny portion of Chrysler stock or nameplates -
(shudder) well I guess it doesn't matter because I will never buy new
anything, anymore. Maybe a volkswagen... because there just isnt
anything I like thats for sale today. Even the super duty which I have
always respected and liked (I can feel Norah's glare on me now) looks
uglier than the GM's!! Dodge created a freaking monster with the 1994
Ram! They started the "we're going to be bigger and bolder than you!"
trend in the light duty pick up market. Everyone tries to bigger and
badder and in the process the trucks are getting uglier and uglier!

I sat in a Caliber... a car I really liked.... Until I sat in it. It
may boast bigger dimentions than a Neon, but the line of sight out of
the cars windows is terrible. And the car's interior just feels tighter
and smaller than a neon.

Chryslers trend towards a factory "chopped and channeled" look - with
their high door lines and narrow windows looks cool and I think would be
cool for a couple of sporty cars... but NOT FOR THE ENTIRE BRAND LINE!!!
  The 300, the Charger, the Magnum, the Caliber, the Dakota, the
Crossfire. (are they still making Crossfire? I didn't see one at the
autoshow? but then again I didn't actually make it over to the Chrysler
Brand section now that I think about it).... I sat in them all at the
Auto shows... a few for the first time this year...

I'm not a big guy and I'm telling you I felt like the roof was crushing
in on top of me! This was a major turn off! I was seriously
considering a Caliber when the Ram was paid off - because the Neon is
needing repairs (as I yammerd on about earlier this week) and i thoguht
it would be nice to have a new sporty car with a stick shift. Not a
chance in hell after sitting in that thing will I buy it. I don't even
need a test drive.

So - I'll jsut keep on fixing my junk and buying used junk like the junk
I have now. Screw buying new.

Get a freaking rose tattoo and deal with it...
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine