Re: Brake bleeding advice?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Feb 18 2007 - 21:38:00 EST

David Gersic <info@zaccaria-pinball.com> wrote:
: On Saturday 17 February 2007 07:52 pm, Jon wrote:
:> Now that just about every line on the truck has been replaced,
:> the system is finally holding pressure. However, the pedal is
:> soft and the brakes are marginal.

: Sounds like air in the system, somewhere, yes.

:> a quart through it but still no luck. I don't recall how low the master
:> cylinder got during the time that the truck sat, but it is entirely
:> possible that it emptied. Could the air be in the MC, and if so
:> does it need to be bench bled? Any chance I can do it on the truck?

: Looking at the friendly manual, it looks like you could bleed it on the truck.
: Just remove the brake lines, install some more lines that you can route back
: to the fill hole, and bleed the MC using the brake pedal instead of using a
: stick to push the piston. Then re-bleed the rest of the system.

   I pulled out the ol' manual myself tonight, and looked up
the bench bleeding procedure. As you said, they just say
to stick it in a vice, make up a couple of tubes and push the
plunger with a wooden dowel. Like you, I kinda figured pushing
the brake pedal does the same thing! I'll try it on the truck.

   I used suction bleeding to pull a mess of fluid through
each bleeder and still no improvement in the pedal, so I'll
try bleeding the master cylinder just in case.

   In going through the FSM, I also noticed that my proportioning
valve is different than pictured in the FSM, which I guess isn't
a major deal, but what *is* a major deal is that it appears
someone ran the front and rear lines from the proportioning
valve to what appears to be a simple manifold on the frame
rail, and the lines to the front and rear brakes connect to it.
   This might explain why when my front brake line burst,
I had absolutely no brakes whatsoever - this would completely
bypass the separation between the front and rear brakes which
is created within the master cylinder! It was so neat looking
though and had factory style lines on it with that coil armor
on it, so I figured it was factory, but I can't find anything
in the FSM that looks like that manifold. In fact, the FSM
shows the proportioning valve to be in the same basic location
where I have that manifold, and my proportioning valve is mounted
next to the master cylinder instead. This is all very strange,
unless that manifold isn't actually a manifold and maintains
the separation between the front and rear brakes. As long
as I am doing all this work, I think I'll go ahead and
disconnect the lines from that manifold and test it with some
compressed air or something. If it is indeed just a simple
manifold, I'll pull it and connect the brake lines directly
to the proportioning valve. I'm not 100% sure it is a simple
manifold because the stock lines fit so well to it and
also I had a leak in a rear brake line after I fixed the front
one, so it is possible that the front and rear lines burst at
the same time and that is the reason I had no brakes as opposed
to the manifold. Time (when I get around to it) will tell. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-