Re: Ebay Deal Going Bad? Never Had This Happen Before

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 01:30:22 EST

Olznut@aol.com wrote:

: Ok, for some reason, I think this deal I completed on ebay on 1/31 is going
: to go bad. I bought a pair of fender scoops for my '66 Olds 442 from a pretty
: well known vendor in the Olds parts arena, and he has real good feedback
: (99.3 positive with 700 items sold). Sent 3 emails with no reply. Called them
: 2/7 and got a "we'll call you back", with no call back, called 2/9 and got a
: rather not so friendly guy that told me I can only deal with the person I
: talked to. Called 2/12 and they admitted they messed up and promised parts by Fri
: and obviously, I ain't got my parts still. Parts place is in Mo. Car is in
: paint shop now waiting on these things, as other parts I've ordered from
: around the country AFTER I've ordered the scoops have come in. I did pay with Pay
: Pal, so how long should I wait until I make a move with them? These things
: were not cheap ($250), so I'm a bit worried.

   I believe the complaint resolution process gives the seller
a chance to respond or make it right, so instituting a complaint
might get them off their butts. I definitely wouldn't let it
go 30 days though. (Someone else suggested checking on ebay/
paypal's web site for the deadlines; that would be a good idea.)
You might want to just get in touch with the seller one more
time and let them know you are going to institute the complaint
process with ebay/paypal to give them one more chance to make it
right and if that doesn't work, go ahead with it. Are there any
Olds specific magazines? If so, dropping a hint that you are
thinking about writing a letter to the editor to warn them about
your situation might help to grease the wheels also.

   If you paid via credit card, if you don't get any satisfaction
via the ebay/paypal complaint process, you may be able to institute
a chargeback on your credit card. Wether this will work or not
really depends on your credit card company. Some will do it and
some won't. Technically it was paypal that charged your card and
not the seller. However, in the one and only time I was scammed on
e-bay, I did just that and Discover credited the money back to my
account (about $70). At that point, its up to Paypal to get their
money back from the fraudulent seller. In my case, I purchased a
FSM on ebay which the guy never shipped.

  Just for future reference, you might want to look into opening
up a Paypal Buyer Credit account. Its free as long as you pay
your balance in full every month, and there are more protections
built in for buyers than with the standard dispute policy. I
use paypal buyer credit for pretty much all of my e-bay purchases
for that reason.

--
                                          -Jon-