Re: Dakota days numbered?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 10:30:53 EST

"Ray Block" <bpracing@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
:> -----Original Message-----
:> From: jon@dakota-truck.net
:>
:> [...]
:> : Avenger - OK...c'mon DC, throw an SRT4 engine in there
:>
:> Good grief - is the Avenger still around? I thought it went
:> away years ago! Has it been built all along or did they
:> re-introduce it recently?

: Not the old one...a regurgitated name on a mini version of the new Charger.

   Thanks, Ray! (and Jason) Maybe if DC didn't spend so much money
on those "Ask Dr. Z" ads, they could afford to hire somebody to think
up new names for their vehicles. I dunno about anyone else, but when
a new vehicle debuts, that name kinda gets locked into that type of
vehicle and it doesn't make any sense to me to use the "wrong" name on
a new vehicle. I can understand bringing back the Challenger name as
that vehicle is clearly a new version of the Challenger. But things
like slapping "Charger" on a 4 door and now again calling a 4 door sedan
the Avenger which was introduced as more of a sporty 2 door is strange
to me. Here's a thought - since its the replacement for the Stratus,
if you must regurgitate a name from the past, why not just call it a
Stratus? :-P If you're not going to put any effort into coming up
with new names, at least pick ones that make sense. Anyhoo, I seem
to be digressing a bit. :-) Don't say I didn't warn you though when
DC's next econobox or luxury vehicle gets named "Dakota". ;-)

: Probably something on Allpar about it but here's a link to it on
: TheCarConnection.com...
: http://www.thecarconnection.com/Vehicle_Reviews/By_Make/Dodge/2008_Dodge_Ave
: nger_R/T.S180.A11852.html

:> When the Avenger first came out, I
:> always hoped to come across one that had some flood/fire
:> damage or something along those lines as that car was just
:> begging for a RWD conversion and a twin turbo Magnum 360
:> under the hood. :-)
:> -- -Jon-

: Jon, a good racing buddy of mine has both a Daytona and an Avenger (original
: one) with the RWD conversion. The Daytona still has a full interior and is
: occasionally driven on the street. No need for a turbo in this as a single
: 4-bbl, LA 360 has taken it to 10.60's @ 128 in the quarter. His Avenger is
: built lighter and runs high 9's with the same engine. Write me privately
: if you want more details.

   Sounds pretty cool! I liked the looks of the Avenger when it
came out, and just always thought it needed RWD and a powerplant
to match the styling. I was going to build a street vehicle; it
would have the full interior and basically be as "factory" looking
as possible. As far as the twin turbo 360 goes, blame the
overstimulated "too much is never enough" lobe of my brain. :-)
Between lack of funds and the inevitable hassles I would run into
trying to register such a vehicle in NY though, I'm sure it'll never
happen. Besides, I've got plenty of emissions exhempt vehicles
to work on first. Before that, I need to figure out how to build a
barn to store them though. Ummm, but now we're back to the lack
of money thing. Hmmm, maybe this is why I spend so much time
thinking up weird stuff and never actually getting around to it. :-)

--
                                          -Jon-