Re: Sound deadening material info...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Mon Feb 19 2007 - 11:00:27 EST

"Mallett, Donald B" <Donald.Mallett@bnsf.com> wrote:

: Looking to add sound deadening material in the cab of my QC. Target area
: is the flooring and the back wall under the rear window. Hoping to keep
: cost down. Can anyone recommend a good material to help keep the droning
: sound of the exhaust out of the cab? Also any hints or tips on how to
: install it would be helpful too. Can anything also be done to the
: underside of the cab to help block the sound?

   You can buy Dynamat for this purpose, but it is pricey. You
might want to verify that your exhaust has no leaks and the tailpipe
is far enough out to the side or back of the truck, and not ending
under the bed. I suppose you could try packing some foam insulation
under the carpet and on the back wall; it might help. Probably what
would work best is something fairly dense though. I think the basic
principle behind dynamat is that it is dense but it also adheres
directly to the sheet metal to deaden it; to make the panels harder
to vibrate and stop them from basically acting like a big drum (or
tune the drum to a less annoying or inaudable frequency anyway).
If you could find sheets of rubber somewhere, you may be able to glue
them to the floor pans and walls to get the same basic effect. A
number of people have reported success with using Peal & Seal, which
is a roofing product available at Lowes; apparently it is very similar
to the original Dynamat. (http://tinyurl.com/2qtzef) I have seen some
reports though saying that the stuff can lose adhesion if it gets
really hot. The same thing basically goes for any asphault based
product however.

   If you would prefer to use a product designed for sound
deadening in vehicles, there are a number of manufacturers
which are cheaper than Dynamat; just do a google search for
"Dynamat alternatives" or something along those lines.

   Here is a link which may be useful to you; its basically a
test of a bunch of sound deadening products and contains some
good general information about their construction and
effectiveness: http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

--
                                          -Jon-