Re: Steering Box replacement

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 21:24:20 EST

Hop * wrote:

> Anyone replaced a steering box on a '97 dakota yet?
> I'm looking at doing it this weekend and wondered if i could do it with
> hand tools.
> Them things are pricey! The box is $150 and a $200 CORE!
> I'm tired of having 1/4 turn slop in the wheel. Makes if fun with a
> cross wind on the freeway.

Steering boxes suck to change on our Daks. I changed Christines when I
had the front clip was off and that made it a whole lot easier. Heh, no
I don't recommend pulling the front clip off to change the steering.
The hardest part will be getting the pitman arm off. I never did get
mine off. I was replacing the steering linkage anyway - so I left the
damned thing on the gear when I turned the core in.

I'll tell ya right now, the pitman arm puller that AutoZone rents was
useless. Find a better quality tool before you begin. It will make
things lots easier. Also, soak EVERYTHING in PB Blaster. The price
you quoted is about right for an aftermarket reman.

Tom