Re: Beater economics

From: Ray Irons (rayirons@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 12:16:26 EDT

--- Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:

> Well, I see gas prices are already up to $3.85 a
> gallon in Ontario.
> Looks like they're getting an early start on the
> summer price gouging spree.

Why not look into the possibility of buying a used
motorcycle for summer commuting and hang onto the Dak
for extremely cold weather/snow day commuting?

I know for me, I have filled the gas tank in my Dak
once in the last month and I still have nearly half a
tank. I've put over 1,000 miles on my bike in that
same month and at 48 and change MPG, that works out to
abaout $70 in gas at California's gas prices.
Depending on how far your commute is, that could add
up to some pretty good savings. You can check
craigslist, ebay and cycletrader.com to name a few
places you can look for a used bike, under $1,000.
Jusr don't skimp on protective gear. Buy a decent
helmet, ZR1 is a good one for @ $100, over the ankle
leather shoes, gloves, and jacket. I got my leather
jacket from bikeweekleathers.com and my GF liked it so
much, she wanted to know where hers was. I got both
jackets for under $350. Good gloves will run you
anywhere from $30-$50. So for you're planned budget
for a beater, you could have a decent bike, and all
your gear, and still save more then you expect now.

Something else you can do to save some money is during
the winter months when you can't ride, call the
insurance company and drop the insurance on the bike
so you're not paying for it when you can't use it.

Just trying to throw you another option you might not
have considered. Email me off list if you'd like for
any other information.

Ray