Re: Beater economics

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Fri Apr 06 2007 - 23:06:58 EDT

Jason Bleazard wrote:

> Well, I see gas prices are already up to $3.85 a gallon in Ontario.
> Looks like they're getting an early start on the summer price gouging spree.
>
> I've been debating the merits of trading my '95 Dakota for a smaller
> car.
>
> I know asking for opinions can be trouble :-), but I'd like to hear them
> anyway. What do you think? Just keep coughing up money to feed my
> Dakota until it falls apart, or downsize to someone else's lemon junk?
>
> Thanks.

Unless you keep the Dakota, the only viable plan that I think would work
for you would be to sell the Dakota outright, and use that money (rule
of thumb is a running 4x4 in not so wonderful shape - as long as it
starts and moves - will fetch at least $1000. Your Dak is not that bad
I don't think. I would ask at the very least, $2500 for it. That plus
whatever you cna pull from under the couch, should fetch you a decent
used econo box. If you want reliability - in all honesty i would stay
away from Neons. Civics, corollas, or escorts are all better in the
reliability department.

I understand your delema. YOu can keep paying more for gas for a truck
you can anticipate issues with, that is currently reliable... or you can
take a chance and get something else that could save you money in the
long run but you don't really have an idea of how healthy it is. Case
in point.. my neon. I got a good deal on it - $1400... but in the year
since I bought it I had to replace the head and timing belt, (due to the
incompetence of the previous owner), a battery, plugs, wires,
alternator, belts... (I can't claim the radiator and body parts because
it was my own dumb ass who ran into a light pole)... plus I have lots of
things wrong with it now. The motor is iffy... makes noise... the turn
signal switch is broken, the struts all the way around need to be
replaced, probably the coils too. It needs rear brakes for sure, a
muffler, possibly front brakes, the AC doesnt work, the heater core
seeps, and I'm waiting to see how long it will be before I have a brake
line blow out. They are pretty rusty in some places.

Sorry that prolly didn't help ya too much. Personally I would hang onto
the Dak... what are you getting for MPG with it anyway? That 5 sped
behind the 3.9V6 should net you high teens right? And I agree with what
someone else said... throw a cheap electric fan on there. They arnt
hard to install... $100 bucks or so could net you 20's for fuel economy.
  Hell when christine was running well back in 2002 on her rebuilt 3.9
premagger... I got just over 20 MPG on the way out to my first BBQ in
2002. Your 5 speed should be around 17 city 21 highway?

Also dont expect 30+ mpg in town with gasser 4 banger cars. Guy i used
to work with back at AZ had a 9-s civic, and got 22-25 mpg in town and
with a stickshift. They do great on long steady highway drives... not
that awesome in town. (granted 22 city is better than 15-16 city), but
enough to sell the Dak?

Get a freaking rose tattoo and deal with it...
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine