Re: Beater economics

From: Jason Bleazard (dml@bleazard.net)
Date: Sat Apr 07 2007 - 12:12:06 EDT

Terrible Tom wrote:
> Personally I would hang onto the Dak... what are you getting for MPG
> with it anyway? That 5 sped behind the 3.9V6 should net you high
> teens right?

It's been getting between 17.5 and 20 mpg lately, depending on the
weather. That's not bad for winter.

> Also dont expect 30+ mpg in town with gasser 4 banger cars. Guy i
> used to work with back at AZ had a 9-s civic, and got 22-25 mpg in
> town and with a stickshift. They do great on long steady highway
> drives... not that awesome in town. (granted 22 city is better than
> 15-16 city), but enough to sell the Dak?

My commute is about 2 miles getting to the freeway, then 30 miles on the
freeway, then 3 miles getting to the office. Mostly highway miles.

I just ran my monthly numbers for March. For reference, my fill ups were:
3/8: 284 mi, 15.81 gal, $61.99
3/14: 294 mi, 15.36 gal, $60.72
3/20: 274 mi, 15.23 gal, $58.41
3/23: 250 mi, 13.28 gal, $49.75
3/28: 248 mi, 12.33 gal, $46.56

Total: 1350 mi, 72 gal, $277.43
18.75 MPG average. $3.85 a gallon average.

I figure 25 MPG would have saved me about $69, and 30 MPG would have
saved $104. Actually, it would have saved a bit more, because we would
have used it for weekend grocery trips instead of Norah's Dak. Whether
that's worth the risk of an unknown beater car, I'm still struggling
with. There's no reason for us to have two pickup trucks any more, all
it's is doing is draining my wallet unnecessarily. I have to admit,
part of my motivation for wanting to use less fuel is so I can give The
Finger to Petro Canada, Exxon, Shell, and the whole lot of 'em. Friggin
oil companies are professional pirates, and I'm tired of helping out so
much with their constant string of record profits.

Sorry. Rant over.