Re: RE: Differential fluid changes

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 14:49:03 EDT

On Wednesday 11 April 2007 11:12 pm, JAMES KNOX wrote:
> In regard to the funny noise in 4x4, silly Question but, are all 4 tires
> the same size ? tread pattern?

I measured, and they're all 88" circumference.

But, I think I found my noise. While I had it up on jackstands, I started it,
put it in 4-Hi, and shifted it up to 5th where it was going fast enough at
idle to make some noise. It starts around 20 to 25 mph, and gets louder the
faster you go. Following it around by ear, I have it narrowed down to the
front driveshaft. It's not coming from the area around the front wheels,
axles, or CV joints.

I can't wiggle the front driveshaft any more than I can wiggle the rear one.
Both seem to have similar fore/aft and rotational play. Looking more closely
at it, though, I found:

http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/im004744.jpg

That's the joint where the front driveshaft joins the transfer case. Looks
like there's supposed to be a rubber seal there that's torn. I'm assuming
that's let crap in to the joint, and is probably what's causing the clanky
grinding sound when the truck is in 4WD and under load.

Looks like I'll be pulling this apart and fixing it. It's been like this for
at least a year now, so whatever damage it's going to do is probably already
done, so I'll do some reading and research to find out what I need to be
ready for when I dig in to it.

I also found two small exhaust leaks. I kind of expected exhaust trouble
though. Seems like every car I've ever owned has spent a good portion of it's
life with leaking, rotted, or missing exhaust parts. These aren't bad, yet,
but the one's at a clamp between pipes, and the other is at the bottom edge
of the muffler. They're dripping water, which is how I spotted them, so
they're going to get worse.