Re: RE: Differential fluid changes

From: WiLieR[SS] (waffle787@gmail.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2007 - 16:58:50 EDT

On 4/12/07, David Gersic <info@zaccaria-pinball.com> wrote:
> I can't wiggle the front driveshaft any more than I can wiggle the rear one.
> Both seem to have similar fore/aft and rotational play. Looking more closely
> at it, though, I found:
>
> http://www.zaccaria-pinball.com/temp/im004744.jpg
>
> That's the joint where the front driveshaft joins the transfer case. Looks
> like there's supposed to be a rubber seal there that's torn. I'm assuming
> that's let crap in to the joint, and is probably what's causing the clanky
> grinding sound when the truck is in 4WD and under load.

Looks like it is time to replace the front driveshaft. If that is a
cv joint then dirt and junk has gotten inside of it and chewed up the
surfaces inside to the point that it probably can't be rebuilt. If it
were me I would look around and see if I could find someone to make me
a custom front driveshaft with u-joints or even better a double cardan
shaft made up would be bullet proof.

I know it's a jeep, but still the same idea applies here. Check out
what happens when you let the cv joint get really dirty. :)
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797596

WiLieR