318 pinging; programming updates

From: jldenning@earthlink.net
Date: Sat Apr 14 2007 - 10:30:26 EDT

I've a '99 318 4x4 w/ ATX and ~63k miles, that pings. I very recently changed
plugs, wires, cap, rotor and pcv valve, and decarboned the intake/injection
system. Still pings. It seemes to be worse if I use regular gas, so I'm
running premium ($3.30/gal. in Washington DC)! Lately virtuallly all driving
has been city stop & go.

My mechanic has figured out that there are 8 OBC programming updates that have
not ben installed, and he thinks that could be the problem. (BTW, Dodge dealer
tells me these updates will be installed free w/in 8 years or 80k miles -- I'm
over 8 years.) My mechanic (not dealer) will do updates for $150.

Any thoughts? I especially want to get away from using premium.

TIA

Jef