RE: Blow it out yer exhaust...

From: Pindell, Tim P (TPindell@otterbein.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 14:42:25 EDT

snip

> Soooo... I've decided on a Flowmaster 50 series. I've heard
> an R/T Dakota with a 360 that REALLY sounded good with that
> muffler. My question to those with more exhaust experience
> than I, is what should I do about the pipe diameter?

I enjoy the sound, too. On my 318, I have a 2.5" Flowmaster 50
Deltaflow. I don't think it's too loud, but it does have a nice low
rumble; enough to set off sensitive car alarms. I may go to a 40-series
next time.

> I'm planning to do some rather radical stuff to this truck
> down the line... but by that time I imagine I'll need to do
> exhaust work again.
> I'm going to throw an M-1 manifold on it and thats about the
> extent of my modifications for this year. Perhaps a set of
> headers if I have some money to burn, but I doubt it.

My 318 lost a good amount of low-end grunt with the addition of the M-1
and headers. The power band was moved up the rpm range considerably. I
got some low-end torque back with the MP PCM, but it's still somewhat
high-strung for me. I wish I had some before/after dyno runs...

> Should I go back to a 2.5 inch pipe and muffler? Or should I
> keep my existing pipe and buy a 3 inch muffler?

I stayed with the 2.5" coming out of the headers but the MP headers
arrived with a 3" flange adapter in the kit. I agree with Jon. If your
existing pipes are good, I'd leave them alone, grab a 3" muffler and
weld up the holes in the messy section.

Tim