Blow it out yer exhaust...

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 21:16:25 EDT

Ok - as I'm nearing the point where the Ram will come off storage
insurance, I'm going to put a muffler on, in an attempt to bring up fuel
economy and bottom end power. I'm operating under the assumption that
my wide open exhaust is too wide open.

I finally remembered to bring home a dial caliper and I crawled under to
measure. I have the stock 2.5 inch pipe coming out of the CAT, where
shortly after it had a 3 inch pipe messily welded in place. If I
remember, that weld leaks. They just filled in the gap with the bead.
It goes all the way back to the stock location passenger side exit,
where a 4 inch Magnaflow tip was welded on. That combination gives me
that awesome rumble at low RPM, but I've always been somewhat embarassed
to start it up in this rather sleepy part of town I live in. I'm really
suprised I havnt had a neighbor complain. She barks at a cold start up.

Soooo... I've decided on a Flowmaster 50 series. I've heard an R/T
Dakota with a 360 that REALLY sounded good with that muffler. My
question to those with more exhaust experience than I, is what should I
do about the pipe diameter?

I'm planning to do some rather radical stuff to this truck down the
line... but by that time I imagine I'll need to do exhaust work again.
I'm going to throw an M-1 manifold on it and thats about the extent of
my modifications for this year. Perhaps a set of headers if I have some
money to burn, but I doubt it.

Should I go back to a 2.5 inch pipe and muffler? Or should I keep my
existing pipe and buy a 3 inch muffler? Its also time to change the
exhaust tip, its rather tarnished. If I keep 3 inch pipe, I'll stay
with a 4 inch resonator, if I go with 2.5 pipe I'll drop down to a 3
inch tip.

Recommendations? Comments? Opinions??

Get a freaking rose tattoo and deal with it...
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine