RE: Bump - Xenon HID Conversion Kit Group Buy

From: Marc W. Grobe (mgrobe@leghorncomputing.com)
Date: Mon Apr 23 2007 - 10:32:36 EDT

I have three vehicles that I wouldn't mind them being on.

My Jeep has been using higher wattage H4 bulbs for the last 7 years. In
that time I am on my 4th set of bulbs that cost about $40 - $75 per set.
If HID is truly more durable it would save me money in the long run.

My mother's 1995 Grand Caravan could use it the most. The lighting
system is horrid. The only change that we have made over the years was
to replace the bulbs with Silver Stars. Regardless the light output is
about 1/3 of my Jeep or my Dad's Dak. Of course her van is down right
now, so it isn't a high priority for her.

My father's 2000 Dak is his cowboy Cadillac and he likes to make minor
changes. He probably would be game if my swap was successful.

My reservations are the following.

1) Manufacturer of the product

2) Install complications

3) Negative side effects of the conversion

4) Hidden costs

For #1 if I would choose to go this route I would prefer it to be from a
larger manufacturer such as Sylvania/Osram, etc. Partially because of
my own feelings towards product quality and partially because buying
replacement pieces may prove easier.

For #2 I am worried that I would be opening a can of worms. I am
interested, but it would be nice to see a write-up or two on similar
vehicles with a similar kit, so I would see what I was getting myself
into prior to making the leap.

For #3 I am worried about the fact that some bad compromise would appear
during one of the installations that makes the whole process less than
desirable. Likewise I worry that HID just doesn't turn out to be as
durable as first thought and I am buying replacement pieces of a
different variety on a 2 year interval similar to my H4 bulb experience.

For #4 I am concerned that for one or two of the projects some other
components would be required to successfully complete a project.
Suddenly a $110 - $150 project becomes $300 per vehicle.

Whew!

Anyone have any opinions on the above?