Re: K+N FIPK is installed

From: Barry Oliver (barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2007 - 18:32:12 EDT

Heh, heh,heh... Great minds go in the same mudhole...

I just installed a FIPK on my DAK last weekend. I noted some of the
same issues [horrid instructions, useless pictures, have to bend
brackets..] and I think I understand the cracking issue... If you
*dont* bend brackets, you put alot of stress on the tube...

*And* my bottom mounting stud came loose....
[excerpt from Chat..]
BarrySuperhawk: bottom bolt came loose... PISSED
flynrtdkota: how?
BarrySuperhawk: got it ziptied right now
flynrtdkota: what bolt?
BarrySuperhawk: the center of the old airbox...that bolt. it spins got
the locknut on half way, just enough to make it difficult to remove...
BarrySuperhawk: can't get to the back of it without removin a bunna chit
flynrtdkota: the center of the old airbox?
flynrtdkota: explain
BarrySuperhawk: the mount for the bottom of the shield... it mounts on
a stud...
flynrtdkota: right...
BarrySuperhawk: no it aint right...lol
BarrySuperhawk: it spins
BarrySuperhawk: :'-(
flynrtdkota: the part that is in the bod?
flynrtdkota: body?
BarrySuperhawk: yeah
flynrtdkota: still got the nut to go on there?
flynrtdkota: put the nut on-- when you go to tighten it, hold the stud
with a pair of pliers
BarrySuperhawk: it's on there...but not tight... and now stud is
spinning and I cant get to the back of it to hold it...
BarrySuperhawk: not enough room for pliers without buggering the threads..
BarrySuperhawk: I could get it if I pulled the whole mess back out...but
the TB stud did not cooperate either, so now that it's on, I think it's
staying for a bit..
flynrtdkota: best to un do it-- and do it right
flynrtdkota: it'll save you later
BarrySuperhawk: it's only the shield..it isn't going anywhere...and it's
not structural...