Re: Deal's Gap. Memorial day...

From: josh@stolarz.org
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 09:32:39 EDT

In article <462FEEDB.1070709@insightbb.com>, barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com
(Barry Oliver) writes:

> Hey Guys, I'm going to Deals gap over Memorial day. Anybody local to
> the area wanna say hi? I will be there 24-29 May. I got on to this
> trip late, some friends planned it but one had to drop out, so I was not
> in on any of the planning. So, other than the Dragon itself, what
> shouldn't I miss while down there?

I just got back from there this weekend, I was in my car not the truck. The
roads are the main attraction, there is also plenty of sight seeing, the
Fontana Dam is right before the mini dragon on 28 which is good for
sightseeing. Definitely do the Cherohala Skyway. I took my group on the large
loop about 150 miles doing the dragon and skyway. If your looking for a place
to stay, the Fontana Resort is a great place. It's central to everything and
the food is excellent. Also if you have never been there you will be off the
grid, no cell phones up there. The cops are usually very easy on everyone as
long as your not being stupid and going over the lines. The are doing heavy
patrols from Asheville down to 28 before it goes back to a two lane. Other then
that I didn't see any law on the Skyway and only a couple of officers on the
dragon, but they were not looking for speeders, just idiots. The roads are the
areas main attraction and bread and butter, therefore the law is generally lets
a lot slide..