Re: Can I put an '04 gas tank in a '95 truck?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 21:08:45 EDT

dml@bleazard.net wrote:

> If anyone remembers that '04 that was being parted out a couple of
> weeks ago... I talked to Pat offline, and the truck is still
> available. I don't have anywhere to park it at my place, or I'd
> consider taking it and parting it out myself. Jon, seriously, any
> desire to have a parts truck sitting around DML HQ? He wants $750
> Cdn for the whole thing.

   I actually posted a response to that thread to ask what he wanted
for it, but didn't get a reply and I forgot about it. :-) I'd
probably be more motivated if it was a V8 rather than the 3.7 V6, or a
4x4 which might make an interesting drivetrain swap into my Willys or
some sort of frankenstein buggy, but at that price, it did sound
pretty good.

   I say "did" because my next step was to refresh my knowledge
regarding vehicle importation into the US. :-P As I read the regs,
it sounds like it isn't possible to bring it across the border. It
could *probably* be brought across as an assemblage of motor vehicle
parts, but as long as the engine and transmission are being brought
across at the same time, it is considered a motor vehicle for
importation purposes. The catch-22 here is that the regs do not
appear to allow the importation of a salvage vehicle or even a vehicle
which WAS a salvage vehicle or was reconstructed. :-P So, it sounds
like the only way would be to pull the engine and trans and bring the
body across on a different occasion than the engine and trans. Even
given that, the parts themselves still need to meet the federal
standards. So, although I was somewhat excited about this for about
an hour today, between the duty and the hassles that would be required
to get it across the border, I just don't think it'd be worth the
trouble. :-(

> Then I started thinking, if the tank changed enough to require a
> different fuel pump, maybe I could just move the entire tank over,
> pump and all. All it needs is power, a fuel line, and the gauge
> signal, right? As long as it'll physically fit under the bed, it
> seems like it should work (at least in my demented mind).

  You're already past this part it sounds like, thanks to the info
about the differences which has been already posted, but this brings
to mind another possible idea which is an aftermarket pump - either
inline or an in the tank pump. This has been done in the past by
folks looking for more power as an upgrade over the stock pump. It
might even be cheaper than replacing it with a stock pump. Granted,
with a returnless style fuel system you will probably need to add a
pressure regulator unless you find a pump with the ability to set the
fuel pressure at the pump itself, so it might not end up being all
that great from a financial standpoint, but might be something to look
into.

--
                                          -Jon-