Re: Can I put an '04 gas tank in a '95 truck?

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 20:55:17 EDT

dml@bleazard.net wrote:

> In article <FLEBLMGMFEJAHIGMOFLNOECICFAA.bernd@dodgetrucks.org>,
> bernd@dodgetrucks.org ("Bernd D. Ratsch") writes:
>>
>> Return vs. Returnless (early '95) - pressures are also different. The
>> sending unit also uses different resistance values.

> So much for that idea... I kinda had a feeling, but figured I'd ask just in
> case.

> I thought all '95 models were returnless. At least that's what I thought I saw
> in the FSM. Are you saying there's a chance mine (built Sept '94) uses a
> return system? That'll be important to know when buying a pump.

   My understanding is (or has been for the past 10 years or so
anyway) that the returnless system was introduced with the 1994 model
year, thus 1993 was the last year for the return style with a pressure
regulator in the engine bay. The reason I say that is because you can
use an inexpensive, "dry" style nitrous system on Dakotas through the
1993 model year because they can play with the regulator for
additional fuel delivery, whereas you need a more expensive "wet"
style nitrous system (which sprays fuel with the nitrous) on 1994 and
later Dakotas. (That's the only reason I remember it.) :-) Also,
all of the catalogs I have ever seen break the return/returnless
system down to the 1993/1994 model year. I've never checked to see if
there was any sort of changeover "bleed", which I suppose is a
possibility, but that has been my experience anyway. (1993 = return
style, 1994 = returnless)

--
                                          -Jon-