RE: RE: Alternator Upgrades

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@dodgetrucks.org)
Date: Sat Apr 28 2007 - 09:47:25 EDT

You are correct in your thinking...more amperage isn't going to help you at
idle or any other speed UNLESS your engine and electrical accessories
(battery, stereo, amps, lighting, winch, compressor, welder, etc.) requires
it. The PCM's in these trucks (and all other vehicles) are what control the
charging rate and are designed to keep the charging rate where it's required
and can lower/raise it when temperature, load, and electrical requirements
change. Yes, the PCM can cut the alternator down to a minimum charge rate
at idle (daytime, no electrical load) and raise it to maximum when the
battery is low or dying (dash lights will flicker - common sign).

Best bet: make sure you are using high quality ground wires and good
connections as well as on the power feed from the battery to the PDC (fuse
box under the hood) and from the PDC to the alternator. The factory 4-8
gauge wire is fine but won't handle any decent loads with all of the
aftermarket accessories. Change them out to a 1-2 gauge wire (preferred
"0"). I did and my charging rate is very stable at idle with the BM150
electric fan, HID's, A/C, and onboard PC running - original factory
alternator (136amp).

- Bernd