Re: was: gas tank now K&N FIPK

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Apr 29 2007 - 23:21:39 EDT

Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com> wrote:
> jon@dakota-truck.net wrote:
>> Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Actually, Is there a more elegant way to mount the K&N airhat? What is
>>>the TB mounting hole thread pitch?
>>
>> Unless it has changed over the years, it should be 1/4-20. (Unless
>> you meant the four bolts that hold the TB itself to the intake, in
>> which case I *think* they are 5/16-18.

> Really? Cool! A few inches of threaded rod and a wingnut, and I can do
> away with that stupid hollow bolt...

   What's the hollow bolt? Is that something that comes with the K&N
intake? Or maybe its a GenIII thing for the plastic air hat?

   Check out the FABM install for good pics of the stock setup -
http://www.dakota-truck.net/upgrades/FABM/fabmdml.html There is a
bracket on the top of the TB which has a 1/4-20 carriage bolt
installed in it, and the short bolt at the front of the bracket which
actually attaches it to the TB is also 1/4-20. DMLers have been
replacing that flow restricting bracket with a svelte "S-Bolt" for
many years now. (The S-bolt is simply a piece of 1/4-20 rod with two
bends to get it to line up with the thread in the TB and the center of
the air hat flange so that it goes through the lid.)

--
                                          -Jon-