Re: Return or returnless

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Sun Apr 29 2007 - 23:13:23 EDT

Jason Bleazard <dml@bleazard.net> wrote:
> There are four things going to the top of the pump: 1. electrical,
> 2. fuel supply, 3. filler vent and 4... I'm assuming that goes to
> the evap canister? I didn't follow it all the way up, I can
> probably do that if necessary. The picture is here (items I
> mentioned are right to left on the picture):
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/36191423@N00/477469248/

  First, let me say that hey, that "notes" thing on flickr is pretty
cool! :-)

  I just had the bed off on my '92 Ram (which has a return style
system of course) to fix a broken fuel line and I can tell you that
your pump looks different than mine; The two fuel lines (supply and
return) are basically identical, using the same "quick connect" style
fuel fittings. You've only got one fuel line connection on that pump.
So given your pic and the fact that all of my experience to date has
said that '93 was the last year for the return style system, yours is
returnless.

   One other thing you can check (and I'm a bit embarrassed that it
didn't occur to me until just now as its a lot easier than lifting the
bed) is to pop the hood and take a look at the engine. Check to see
how the fuel enters your fuel rail. If it connects directly to the
fuel rail, then you have a returnless system. If one of the fuel
rails (its the driver's side fuel rail in my Ram) has something
hanging off the back of it with fuel running into it and a vacuum line
attached to it, that's the pressure regulator and you've got a return
style system. That same location is used in later Daks for the duty
cycle EVAP purge solenoid, but don't be thrown off by that - the purge
solenoid has only vacuum lines running to it whereas the pressure
regulator will have one vacuum line and two fuel lines.

> I also tested the voltage right on the electrical connector. It
> definitely gets 12V. It only gets turned on for a couple of seconds
> after I turn the key on, but this matches what it says in the FSM.
> I still don't hear the pump turning. A bit of buzzing, but it
> sounds more like a frozen electrical motor.

   Cool; that's some good progress for sure. I'd say you've tracked
the problem to a faulty fuel pump, with a fairly high degree of
certainty.

--
                                          -Jon-