Re: Challenge: Identify the part?

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2007 - 23:23:42 EDT

Phil Jenkins wrote:

>>What looks like happened is that either the pivot
>>pin for the autoadjuster
>>spring got loose from the backing plate, or the
>>spring broke.
>

> I had the spring break on mine last week. Ruined the
> drum. Good luck with your repair.
>
> Phil

Heh allow me to gloat for a moment... when your local friendly
autoparts counterperson recommends a spring and hardware kit for drum
brakes when you service them... don't argue or dismiss him/her... buy
the friggin cheap-ass hardware kit/s -- its recommended you chagen them
for a REASON. Old rusty stressed hardware go kablooey!

Had it happen to a guy with an old beat up F-150. he bought shoes and
drums - didnt want the hardware. Week later he came in for shoes, a
drum, and hardware kits. The cruddy old springs let loose and trashed
the fresh shoes and drum he put on one side.

The Zen philosopher Smasho once wrote:
"A truck with no dents, is not a 4x4...
and a 4x4 with no dents wasn't at a DML BBQ"
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine