Re: Slotted Brakes Question/Suggestion

From: David Gersic (info@zaccaria-pinball.com)
Date: Tue May 08 2007 - 00:11:04 EDT

On Monday 07 May 2007 10:14 am, ssevrenc@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am researching which way to go for slotted brakes.

I asked some similar questions earlier on the list, and am going with the
Brembo slotted rotors (PartsTrain.com: B3947008) and Hawk pads (Summit:
HWK-HB307P-795 Brake Pads, HP SuperDuty) in the front, with new stock drums
and NAPA shoes in the rear. That's supposed to be about the best brake setup
available without swapping to rear disks or other major surgery.

While I'm in there, I'm also replacing the rear drum self-adjusters ($15/side
from NAPA). Hopefully that'll keep them from self destructing a second time
and wiping out my nice new parts. Seems like cheap insurance.

> The comments for the Baer state that since they are Zinc coated they do not
> get the surface rust like the Powerslots do.

"Coated" sounds to me like it'll last until you step on the brakes a couple of
times. After that, there won't be much coating left. Since I drive pretty
much every day, I don't get or worry much about "surface rust". If there is
any, it'll be gone pretty quickly.

> I will be pulling a trailer around 4,000lbs. thus the desire to upgrade the
> brakes soon. Thanks for your most valued input!

Talking to Hawk about their superduty pads, they actually don't recommend them
for anybody that *isn't* pulling a trailer or similar. They're intended to
provide a lot of braking friction. Since I'm not normally running with that
heavy of a load, they recommended I go down a step to one of their other
compounds. Personally, I'd rather have them be a touch of overkill, so I'm
going with the superdutys.