Re: Old 1989 Dak and axle vent hose

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu May 10 2007 - 10:34:04 EDT

carychip@hotmail.com wrote:
> Thanks Tom and WilieR and Barry for your help. Its great to know I
> can find it here. I am still wondering what is the axle vent hose
> for? If it has a cap, why bother having a hose? (unless the I guess
> the cap is vented too). Any way, I will be getting a new hose.

   Yes, the cap is vented. Basically, the purpose of the cap is to
prevent debris from entering the hose or water from splashing into it.
I don't *think* it has a check valve in it, but maybe somebody else
can confirm that for sure. Obviously, this cap won't prevent water
from entering the hose if the end is submerged, so run the vent to a
location on the vehicle which is higher than the depth of standing
water you anticipate driving through. (Folks who do really deep
fording and have a snorkel on their air intake which runs up above
their roof will tie these lines right into that snorkel.) For normal
folks though, if you don't anticipate using your truck offroad,
running them up to about the frame level should be fine, otherwise if
you do any offroading, you might want to run it up to mid fender level
or so. As far as the hose goes, you don't need anything special, just
regular "fuel/emissions" or "vacuum" tubing from a parts store, in the
correct diameter. Heck, even a piece of clear tubing from a hardware
store will work. (That is what I run on my Jeep so that I can see if
any water or junk has gotten into the tube.) If you do not know what
size you need, just bring in a section of the old tubing and they will
be able to match it up for you. The parts store may have those caps
(vents) for the end as well.

> Also, that gizmo in the heater hose does not have a vacuum line, it
> only has one wire that goes to the firewall. Thats why I thought it
> must be the sensor for the instrument panel temp gauge. Does that
> sound right?

 That gizmo is the water control valve (it is located just beside the
brake booster and master cylinder, correct?) This valve is found only
on A/C equipped trucks and its purpose is to shut off the flow of
coolant to the heater core in the dash when the heater controls are
set to either "OFF" or "MAX A/C". The line that is running to it is a
vacuum line, and I believe it should be grey in color. If you double
check, I think you'll find that although its a very small one, it is
indeed a vacuum line as opposed to an electrical wire.

  Regarding the location of the sensor for your temp gauge, it is
right on the engine itself (screwed into a threaded hole on the intake
manifold or water pump.)

> Thanks again for help guys. I'll be bugging you all with lots of
> questions.

   Welcome to the DML! :-)

--
                                          -Jon-