Overheating '95

From: Azie L. Magnusson (maggie11@mchsi.com)
Date: Fri May 11 2007 - 09:17:07 EDT

I live in Ardmore, Alabama which is a VERY small town
on the Tennessee State line and 3 miles East of I65.
Summer time temps are near 100 with humidity close
to the same @ times. In the mid to upper 80's already
this year.

Truck is a '95 CC 318 auto loaded up pretty good.
I've towed a F250 4X4 from Detroit on my 16' trailer.
No problems @ all.
In '03 I purchased a '56 Merc Montclair over in Yadkinville,NC
and went and towed it home on the same trailer. This is when my
overheating problems started. Coming home on I40 just East of
Ashville there is a Mountain that is pretty tough. I was in the
extremely slow lane with the 18 wheelers trucking along @ roughly
25 mph(1st gear) watching my gauges all the time. The temp
began to rise, but I wasn't overly concerned because the truck was
after all in a constant strain. Temp gage never got to the max - only
about 3/4 of the way to max. About 1000 yards before the crest of
the mountain the radiator BURST. Not the plastic end caps,
but rather the metal top that the cores are soldered in. I
immediately pulled into the extreme right lane and stopped.
Was towed in to Black Mountain. Spent the night in a Motel
and next day found a radiator @ Advanced Auto and got it installed.
Ever since that incident I've had to install a new radiator about
every 2 - 2.5 years or It will overheat during normal July/August
days even without the A/C on. Truck now has 165K miles.
I've changed out every component in the cooling cycle and it has
not helped other than the radiators. After installing a new one, it
does not overheat under any conditions for roughly a couple of
years. Looking into the radiator through the cap opening the cores
(flues) do not look corroded or clogged. I'm currently going
through the process of looking to install a new radiator.
(Slight Overheating already )
Any and all hints and suggestions are appreciated.

Azie