Re: Torsion Bar "Key Lift"

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Mon May 14 2007 - 22:00:22 EDT

Kyle Kozubal wrote:

> I am looking at getting a small lift on my Dakota,
> possibly.
>
> A body lift is not an option, since I do not want to
> re-route my exhaust (which runs through the body panel
> on the bed).

Bummer you can't do body lift. They are the best option for getting a
little more tire clearence. They don't screw up steering and driveline
angles, doesn't raise the center of gravity as much as a suspension
lift, and they are affordable and reaitivly easy to install.

> Are the torsion bar keys a good option for lifting the
> front end 2"? Do these work?

All they are is a stock-style key, thats got the hex clocked at a
different position, to allow the bars to be cranked more.

I'm not sure what, but there is a point where the factory alignment
specs cannot be set properly if the factory suspension is lifted without
compensation of the control arms and CV shaft angles.. If you crank
them up too much, you may not be able to set alignment well enough to
keep tire wear from being a problem. One inch crank seems to be the
general consensus on the DML that you can raise the bars that much and
not cause adverse effects on the ball joints, tierods, etc. I don't know
that I would be comfortable with trying to jack the torsion bars up 2 or
3 inches as the auction states you can. I'm sure their kit will do what
they say - its just the alignment and driveline wear that would worry me.

Also if you could actually lift the front end above a level
front-to-rear stance, you would have to use blocks or add-a-leafs in
the rear spring packs. I know you dont wanna mess with the exhaust...
but my recommendation is body lift.

The Zen philosopher Smasho once wrote:
"A truck with no dents, is not a 4x4...
and a 4x4 with no dents wasn't at a DML BBQ"
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine