Re: Torsion Bar "Key Lift"

From: Kyle Kozubal (solocamxt@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Wed May 16 2007 - 10:33:37 EDT

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I am just going to stick with my
LT265/70R17 and "call it a day".

I will just spend some cash on soe hi-po goodies now,
time to go order the throttle body...........

THANKS!
Kyle

--- Michael Maskalans <dml@tepidcola.com> wrote:

> On May 14, 2007, at 22:00, Terrible Tom wrote:
>

> > Kyle Kozubal wrote:
> >
> >> I am looking at getting a small lift on my
> Dakota,
> >> possibly.
> >> A body lift is not an option, since I do not want
> >> re-route my exhaust (which runs through the body
> panel
> >> on the bed).
> >
> > Bummer you can't do body lift. They are the best
> option for
> > getting a little more tire clearence. They don't
> screw up steering
> > and driveline angles, doesn't raise the center of
> gravity as much
> > as a suspension lift, and they are affordable and
> reaitivly easy to
> > install.
>
> bah, they're a cop-out. Frame rub at full lock is
> the imiting factor
> in tire size anyway. With a 3" body lift you may be
> able to go to a
> rim with less backspacing and get a 35 on with some
> trimmi. that's
> only 1.5" more clearance than with the 32" you could
> fit before.
>
> Put a 3" susponsion lift on and you get the 3" of
> the lift plus the
> 1.5" of going to a 35" tire.
>
> crank your torsion bars and full stuff is still the
> same place it was
> before, and you get less downtravel, but maybe you
> could get a 33" on?
>
> These sizes are all for a Gen III, adjust
> accordingly for the
> "lesser" years ;-)
>
> Depends on the sort of clearance that you care about
> too. frame to
> ground in the middle of the truck? keeping your
> doors and rocker
> panels out of rocks or above water? or just going
> through mud and ruts?
>
> Ignoring tires, either lift leaves your axles in
> pretty much the some
> place with respect to the pavement. The suspension
> lift lets you
> potentially increase suspension travel and gets the
> frame up to
> improve breakover. cranking the torsion bars nets
> the most benefit
> in getting the front end out of the way of dragging
> in ruts though.
>
> IFS isn't for anything serious anyway, so just go
> with what makes you
> happy and fits your budget.
>

> >> Are the torsion bar keys a good option for
> lifting the
> >> front end 2"? Do these work?
> >
> > All they are is a stock-style key, thats got the
> hex clocked at a
> > different position, to allow the bars to be
> cranked more.
> >
> > I'm not sure what, but there is a point where the
> factory alignment
> > specs cannot be set properly if the factory
> suspension is lifted
> > without compensation of the control arms and CV
> shaft angles.. If
> > you crank them up too much, you may not be able to
> [...]

2004 Dakota Quad Cab SLT
4.7L V8, Auto, 4x4, 3.55 Gears
Flowmaster 3" 40 Series Exhaust
Thru-Body Exhaust, K&N FIPK Intake
Jet Chip Stage II Performance Module
Pro Comp 17X8 Series 8089 Wheels
Yoko Geolander AT+II 265/70R17 Tires (siped)
Leer QXL Cap, Rhino Liner, Billet Fuel Door
APC Clear Corners, Class IV Hitch
Vent Visors, Husky Foor Liners
Windows Tinted, Polk Speakers