Re: My Dakota Status

From: WiLieR[SS] (waffle787@gmail.com)
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 13:26:59 EDT

On 5/16/07, Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:
> Ok - I've been down this road before and I thought it seemed like a
> great idea. I thought I would do exactly what you are planning on
> doing. I yanked the 2wd trans from my 2wd truck... swapped the tail
> section over from teh 4x4 trans on to the 2wd trans - got it up and
> under the truck, bolted in the crossmember - and went to install it up
> on the front end... and found this...
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/silvereightynine/comparison.jpg
> http://webpages.charter.net/silvereightynine/2wdtrans.jpg
> http://webpages.charter.net/silvereightynine/4x4trans.jpg
>
> The front bellhousing is a little different. The casting has an
> additional ear where the brace bolts that connects the engine and
> transmission together. Now that brace also connected to your stok IFS
> differential unit - but even with that gone - you still ahve two bolts
> (or should have two bolts) that attatch there. The starters also bolt
> up a little differently I think.
>
> Now we are talking a difference of two truck generations and 9 years
> between.. but before you go dropping trannys and swapping parts - check
> to see if thats going to be a problem. It put the kybosh on the swap for
> me, and it was another trans rebuild of the 4x4 A500, before it was back
> together again. (which was eventually replaced by a 46RH)

<snip>

> le tme know what you find out - I would be curious to know if Dodge
> continued that casting difference up into the Gen III trucks.

<snip>

There are most likely some minor differences in the trans
bellhousings. I noticed in those pics that the trans doesn't have a
relief in the upper left corner, when looking at the pics, for the
crank position sensor. Hopefully when dodge made that minor change
they also changed the need for the extra ear to bolt the ifs to.

Only way to know for sure is to wait for some pics to pop up.

WiLieR