Re: My Dakota Status

From: Michael Maskalans (dml@tepidcola.com)
Date: Fri May 18 2007 - 16:43:49 EDT

On Thu, 17 May 2007, Terrible Tom wrote:

> Ok - I've been down this road before and I thought it seemed like a great
> idea. I thought I would do exactly what you are planning on doing. I yanked
> the 2wd trans from my 2wd truck... swapped the tail section over from teh 4x4
> trans on to the 2wd trans - got it up and under the truck, bolted in the
> crossmember - and went to install it up on the front end... and found this...
>
> http://webpages.charter.net/silvereightynine/comparison.jpg
> http://webpages.charter.net/silvereightynine/2wdtrans.jpg
> http://webpages.charter.net/silvereightynine/4x4trans.jpg
>
> The front bellhousing is a little different. The casting has an additional
> ear where the brace bolts that connects the engine and transmission together.
> Now that brace also connected to your stok IFS differential unit - but even
> with that gone - you still ahve two bolts (or should have two bolts) that
> attatch there. The starters also bolt up a little differently I think.
>
> Now we are talking a difference of two truck generations and 9 years
> between..

and the difference is still there. Looks like it won't matter to me
though, that bracet just takes up space for me now without the IFS center
section. I think.

Will find out tomorrow!
  --
   +-- Mike Maskalans ---------------- Rochester, NY ----------+
   | '98 Dakota CC, SAS on 40s '84 RamCharger 4x4, plow truck |