Re: Re: RE: Here we go...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu May 17 2007 - 21:04:00 EDT

"Aaron Wyse" <awyse@sw.rr.com> wrote:

> numbers we were told in yesterday's meeting was purchased 100% for $32-36B.
> Sold almost 80% for $7.4B they did not disclose the fact that the new
> company also picked up almost $20B in retirement benefit liability as well;
> so they actually just got about 80% of Chrysler for more like $27B; and
> Diamler still holds 21% stock. Technically Diamler didn't do bad for
> tapping OUR resources for several years; and still holding enough to
> participate and share in developements.
> Aaron Wyse

   Wouldn't that $20B retirement liability also have been existent
when Daimler bought Chrysler? If so, that would make the original
sale price closer to $52-56B? Of course, since one of the first
things Daimler did was to suck $20B of liquid assets out of Chrysler,
I guess the liability was basically a wash. When you consider that,
yeah, I guess Daimler did OK (unfortunately). Vastly oversimplified,
if this deal goes through I guess it will be the equivalent of them
having grabbed Chrysler, sucked it clean, and discarding the dried up
husk. Hopefully Chrysler can recover; they've had one impressive
comeback already, maybe another is in the cards.

--
                                          -Jon-