Re: My Dakota Status

From: Terrible Tom (SilverEightynine@aol.com)
Date: Sat May 19 2007 - 01:31:47 EDT

Michael Maskalans wrote:

>> Now we are talking a difference of two truck generations and 9 years
>> between..
>

> and the difference is still there. Looks like it won't matter to me
> though, that bracet just takes up space for me now without the IFS
> center section. I think.
>
> Will find out tomorrow!

You might be able to work around this issue, mike. I couldn't make it
work because I need that brace for the IFS. Your Dak, being sans IFS...
might not make this a critical issue. My concern is that brace was
designed to give stability and support to the whole powertrain. When
you removed the IFS, that brace lost one of its stabalizing mounting
points (the diff). Isnt that the side you ripped up a motor mount on?

Anyway if you can fabricate a brace or even alter the stock brace, just
as long as you keep the trans and engine bolted together... I wouldn;t
worry. if the transmission case was cast iron, I would say throw some
grade 8 bolts in the bellhousing and bolt it to the back of the engine
and forget it - but thats is aluminum and while I don't think you'll
frag the driveline hard enough to sheer bolts or fracture the tranny
case.., if it was me I would find a way to make sure there is a brace
there.

Then again, now I'm wondering just why the braces were there? To
stabalize the differential unit only? Or do they actually renforce the
engine/trans? Because they ARE needed for the IFS... the IFS
differential would twist under loads if the braces were not there to
keep it in place. Similar effect of axle wrap on a rear solid leaf
spring set up. Traction bars serve to locate and keep the axle in
place... follow?

Whatever I'm overtired and thinking this through too much..,

My recommendation, brace the engine and trans and the gnomes will be happy.

The Zen philosopher Smasho once wrote:
"A truck with no dents, is not a 4x4...
and a 4x4 with no dents wasn't at a DML BBQ"
three busted-ass daks, a gas hog, and a rollerskate
AIM & Yahoo: SilverEightynine