Re: Different Question Regarding Torsion Bars

From: Don Rey (radon220@gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 08:12:26 EDT

If you get sqealing when you take corners, that sounds more like a
toe-in/toe-out problem to me. You're dragging one of your wheels a
little sideways around corners. With bad caster, good toe-in, I've
never had squealing. On the other hand, I have had some nasty
squealing (tire dragging) with toe-in problems. It's easy to check
your toe-in. Measure the distance between the rear of your front
tires, then measure the difference between the front of your front
tires. I like to pick a tread block to hook the tape measure onto and
just stick with that tread section. On my Dart, I keep the front
measurement 1" less than the rear measurement and it's perfect (you
want a little toe-in, usually). On my truck, it's a little more
because the tires are bigger. If you get it between 1" and 2" you'll
be in the ballpark. There's also some personal preference here...
different toe-in settings will get you a little different performance,
particularly in cornering. Don't ask me what the difference is.

Don in CT
89 Dakota Convertible 318 NV3500 4x4
74 Dart Sport 340