Re: My status, if anyone cares...

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Fri May 25 2007 - 11:09:56 EDT

Terrible Tom <SilverEightynine@aol.com> wrote:

> Well... I think I'll be at the BBQ this year after all. However I won't
> pull a week long road trip like I usually do. I'll prolly arrive either
> thursday or friday night, and bug out sunday AM. We'll see.

   Glad to hear it Tom, I hope you'll be able to make it. If it were
me, I'd probably shoot for getting here thursday just so I'd have 2
days instead of just the 1 after that long haul road trip, but
obviously you've got to do whatever fits in your schedule.

> I did something lastnight that I never thought I would do. I put a
> muffler on the Ram. A Dynomax 3 inch super turbo. Despite its name, its
> actually the more quiet of the three mufflers avalible to me at work
> from Dynomax. Its sooooo weird. All I ever knew from that truck for
> the last 4 years that I have owned it, was the raw bark and shrill of a
> straight pipe exhaust. I miss it, but its kinda cool to not have to
> watch out for a cop all the time, and I'm sure it will help keep my foot
> off the hammer. Its sooooo quiet compred to what I knew before. It has
> a mild rumble at idle, but eh - thats about it.

    I did the opposite. :-) I was going to post a message to the
list with the subject "I Tommed my Ram", but forgot. Had to take the
Ram in for the annual inspection, and I had noticed that my exhaust
was louder, but the tailpipe hanger had broken and the tailpipe split,
so I fixed the hanger and figured the noise was just from that, and I
didn't get around to fixing the split tailpipe until the day before
the inspection. I got under there and found that the muffler was
toast. I didn't want to spend the time or money looking for a muffler
to fit, so I bent up a section of 2.5" pipe and stuck it in there.
You would have thought that I would have learned my lesson after
sticking a Race Magnum without a cat on my Dak, but no... The Ram has
a cat and a long tailpipe so I thought that would compensate but I was
surprised at the volume level when I fired it up. It didn't sound as
nice as Tom's Ram though, probably the extra cubic inches in his Ram
was the difference. So anyway, it is possible to drive it somewhat
quietly if I'm light on the throttle, but I really should have put a
muffler on it. Oh well, live and learn. :-)

> I really want to spend time on the lake up at my cabin in the middle of
> no where, away from everyone.

   Sounds cool, can I come? j/k ;-) I can sure relate to getting
away from everything and everyone. :-) I don't have a cabin or a
lake, but you can set a tent up by the pond during the BBQ if you
like. If you are into doing a bit of catch and release, its stocked
with perch, bass and walleye.

   Anyhoo, I hope you will be able to make it. (If you do, don't let
me forget to give you your gas can back!) :-)

--
                                          -Jon-