Re: Trans temp gauge sender

From: Kyle Kozubal (solocamxt@sbcglobal.net)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2007 - 23:27:36 EDT

Jon,
You might want to check the trans, as there are test
port(s) about 3" above the trans pan.

If I remember correctly, there are 3 factory installed
ports that are plugged/capped off. I believe these are
servo test ports; 1 for the rear servo, one for the
governor, and one for the front servo.

The "ideal" place is in the supply line from the
tranny to the cooler...while this will show the
hottest temps, it is showing actual temps being output
by the converter...

The pan is a little slower reading and you have to be
aware that while temps might not be that hot in the
pan, they might be pretty hot at the converter.

I used the front servo port to install a trans temp
sending unit in my old 2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 2500
4x4.

I am not sure what year these ports appeared, or what
trans have these ports, but it is worth a check.

In a second gen Ram, the trans temp light is
illuminated at 275 F (most Dakotas are programmed for
the same temp level). Normal operating temp (the temp
at which you should also check the fluid level) is 180
degrees. I recall once being told by Chrysler that
normal operating temp is actually a range, and it is
from 180-210 F.

Anything over 210 F should start to make you take some
notice. Some other trans temp related activities to
note:
-The PCM prevents engagement of the converter clutch
and overdrive clutch when fluid temperature is below
approximately 50 F.
-If fluid temperature exceeds 260 F, the PCM causes a
4-3 downshift and engages the converter clutch. It
will also illuminate the overdrive Off light and
prevent you from going back into fourth (overdrive)
until temps get below 260 F.

Using your aux trans temp gauge, you can see if you
are approaching these temps, but you have to keep in
mind that it all depends on where you are taking the
reading from. The trans gets its readings from a
thermistor located in the govenor pressure assembly.

If you get your readings from a sending unit in the
pan, temps will likly be cooler then what the trans is
reporting because fluid in the pan has just returned
from the trans cooler in the radiator or auxillary
cooler. The pressure line that is between the trans
and the radiator is probably the place that would most
accuratly reflect the temp the trans is reporting
since it contains fluid that is just exiting the trans
on its way to the cooler.

Hope this info helps!
Kyle

--- Jon Smith <DML@fast4x4.net> wrote:

> I'd like to hear where folks are putting the sending
> unit. I'm not wild
> about tapping the pan, unless I drop it to weld in a
> bung. I'm thinking
> of finding a small block of aluminum to fab up a
> manifold & plumb it
> inline on the cooler feed hose.

2004 Dakota Quad Cab SLT
4.7L V8, Auto, 4x4, 3.55 Gears
Flowmaster 3" 40 Series Exhaust
Thru-Body Exhaust, K&N FIPK Intake
Jet Chip Stage II Performance Module
Pro Comp 17X8 Series 8089 Wheels
Yoko Geolander AT+II 265/70R17 Tires (siped)
Leer QXL Cap, Rhino Liner, Billet Fuel Door
APC Clear Corners, Class IV Hitch
Vent Visors, Husky Foor Liners
Windows Tinted, Polk Speakers