Re: Stupid brake problem.

From: Steve Preston (steveophonic@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2007 - 12:18:40 EDT

I bought some (Powerslot?) cross-drilled rotors with
ceramic pads as a set off Ebay about a year and a half
ago,and they've been great. Paid about $85.00 for
everything,plus shipping. But I don't really race my
truck (4.7 4X4 RC),so maybe they don't tend to hold up
well with rigorous braking. But I was cleaning my
wheels every week with wheel and tire cleaner,the
stock rotors were badly rusted,and they squealed bad.
Haven't had any of those problems since. Hope this
helps.

Steve P.
--- Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com> wrote:

> OK, I have identified a problem and now I would like
> some opinions on
> what is possibly causing it. I looked at my brakes
> yesterday as part of
> my exhaust repair [I pulled my pass wheel for
> clearance] and my rotors
> are totally toast, Rusty, Flaking and grooved. The
> odd part is that my
> pads look almost new. On the pass side at least I
> have 7-8mm of pad,
> inside and out. I'll post pictures as soon as my
> camera charges, but I
> have never seen this much disparity between rotor
> wear and pad wear. It
> seems to suggest that these pads are way too hard
> for my rotors and are
> eating them. Oh, this combination [Morse Ceramic
> pads, NAPA top of the
> line rotors] has almost 60k miles on it, and I was
> expecting to have to
> do brakes relatively soon anyway.
>
> By way of a possible solution, I was thinking about
> upgrading to
> Stainless steel slotted rotors. The Stainless for
> two reasons, first
> because I don't drive my truck every day and my
> rotors do rust from
> sitting, and second, because I understand that SS is
> marginally harder
> than the regular rotors. I am looking at the
> slotted variety because I
> guess every Dakota that has ever run drilled rotors
> has had cracks..
> [although I am still not 100% convinced that isn't
> really a small
> problem that has been blown way out of proportion by
> a vocal minority on
> the Internet..] The popular combo of powerslots and
> hawk pads I think
> has less appeal to me because of the combo of rust
> [standard rotor
> material] and increased brake dust over the
> ceramics.
>
> Opinions?

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?