Re: O2 sensor

From: jon@dakota-truck.net
Date: Thu Jun 21 2007 - 20:28:31 EDT

Barry Oliver <barrysuperhawk@insightbb.com> wrote:

> Ok, I remember that I need to mangle a socket to R/R this, anybody
> remember what size I need?

    I believe you can buy O2 sensor sockets, might want to check at
the local auto parts stores; depending on the price, it might be worth
picking one of those up instead of the time invested to modify a
socket, especially if you have to buy that socket in the first place.

   Speaking of sockets, I've never used one to remove an O2 sensor.
So far, I've been able to get by with just a box end wrench, and
possibly a cresent wrench. The O2 sensors in my '96 take
approximately a 7/8" or 22mm wrench. If you have both, you might want
to go with the 22mm as it should be a tighter fit by about 9
thousandths.

   If possible, hit it with some PB blaster several times over the
course of a few days before you attempt the removal. Might help in
case yours is one of the stubborn ones, and the odds are pretty good
it will be if its the original sensor. If the replacement sensor
doesn't already come with anti-sieze on the threads, its probably not
a bad idea to use some.

   If worse comes to worse and it gets really buggered up, an O2
sensor bung can be had for $5 or so, just drill a hole, weld it in
place and install the new sensor. (An even cheaper alternative is to
buy an 18mm x 1.5 nut at the hardware store and weld that in place as
the bung.)

--
                                          -Jon-